Limerick U16s get off to winning start

Post date: Feb 17, 2015 5:35:12 PM

Munster U16 A Championship Preliminary Round

Limerick 3-8 (2-5) Waterford 4-4 (2-0)

Sunday 15th February 2014 at 1.30pm in Ballybrown

Limerick’s U16 team got the inter-county camogie season off to a winning start with a hard fought one point win over Waterford in Ballybrown on Sunday.

Limerick started brightly but were unable to convert their early chances and it was Waterford who opened the scoring on 11 mins when Kate Lynch pounced on a ball played from the left and struck the back of the net.

Limerick responded with a point from Leah Kelly and on the quarter hour mark Dearbhla Egan broke past the defence to get Limerick’s opening goal to put Limerick ahead 1-1 to 1-0.

Dearbhla added a second goal on 22 minutes in a replica move which was followed by two Liz Carmody frees and a point from play from Dearbhla to put Limerick firmly in control heading to half-time by 2-5 to 1-0.

However a strong Waterford attack won a penalty which was converted by Kaiesha Tobin to narrow the gap at half time to Limerick 2-5 Waterford 2-0.

The second half started with Limerick extending their lead through an excellent point from Aoife Curtin however this was followed by a strong Wat4erford fightback. Kaiesha Tobin in a five minute spell scored 1-1 from play and coverted a second penalty to put Waterford ahead 4-1 to 2-6 seven minutes into the second half.

Liz Carmody levelled for Limerick from a free but Kaiesha Tobin restored Waterford’s lead also from a placed ball and Kate Corcoran extended the visitors lead to two with a point from play from Anne Corocoran.

However Limerick showed great character and with Sophie O’Callaghan, Leah Kelly and Caoimhe O’Brien leading from the middle of the field choking the Waterford attack at source and ensuring ggod supply of ball into the forwards. This bore fruit on the 20 minute mark when Dearbhla Egan completed her hat-trick to put Limerick back in front by 3-7 to 4-3.

Liz Carmody extended the lead to two from the placed ball though this was cancelled out by a Kaiesha Tobin free to leave the score 3-8 to 4-4 setting up a tense final 10 minutes.

Limerick had a chance to seal the win when substitute Anna-Rose Kennedy broke through on goal however strong Waterford defence denied her. There were to be no further scores and Limerick won through to a semi-final meeting with Cork by 3-8 to 4-4.

It was a great game with a high standard of camogie on display from both sides and no shortage of drama.


Limerick: Dearbhla Egan 3-1, Liz Carmody 0-5 (4 frees), Leah Kelly 0-1, Aoife Curtin 0-1

Waterford: Kaiesha Tobin 3-3 (2-3 frees), Kate Lynch 1-0, Anne Corcoran 0-1

Limerick Team:

1 Leah O'Carroll (Patrickswell), 2 Stacey Flynn (Templeglantine), 3 Connie Sheehan (Templeglantine), 4 Alice O'Connor (Newcastle West), 5 Jane Kirby (Patrickswell), 6 Liz Carmody (Newcastle West), 7 Sophie O'Callaghan (Adare), 8 Caoimhe O'Brien (Bruff), 9 Leah Kelly (Newcastle West), 10 Aine Reynolds (Ahane), 11 Dearbhla Egan (Crecora), 12 Clodagh Kelly (Newcastle West), 13 Laura Stack (Milford), 14 Molly Hammersley (Cappamore), 15 Rachael Considine (Na Piarsaigh)


22 Aoife Curtin (Templeglantine) for Molly Hammersley (29mins 1st half)

16 Orla Ryan (Crecora) for Stacey Flynn (7mins 2nd half)

20 Anna-Rose Kennedy (Galbally) for Rachael Considine (16mins 2nd half)